Parity’s LGBT Faith and Social Justice Institute Presents:
Emerging Pastors and Faith Leaders Retreat
Equipping & Empowering New and Seasoned Faith Leaders to
BE THE HOPE: Living a Faith That Is Queer, Scandalous, and Strong
August 10-12, 2017
Parity invites queer-positive people of faith to gather at Stony Point Center in Stony Point, NY August 10-12. This year’s retreat for emerging and seasoned faith leaders will be an immersive experience in the theology and practice of Spiritual Queerness. Following a path laid out in the book Queer Virtue by Elizabeth Edman and drawing on insights from the field of cognitive neuroscience and the work of Dr. Michael Ferguson, we will explore what Queerness can teach us about our faith - how to live it more energetically, and how to bring it home to revitalize our faith communities.
why do i want to go?
- Because you want to build and strengthen your ministry, your faith and your church
- Because you want to collaborate with other faith leaders who are doing amazing, innovative work
- Because you know that Christianity, broadly, is not living up to the mission God set out for us, and it's in your DNA to do something about that.
- Because you are convinced that a revitalized faith can accomplish something of value in the world
Who is this For?
- Emerging and Seasoned leaders or planters of communities who perceive queerness as in the marrow of their Christian ministry
- Leaders of communities, lay or ordained, queer or non-queer, in church settings or not for profit organizations who want to be surprised, again, by the Gospel
- Anyone hungry for a vibrant Christian community
- Anyone who wants to reclaim Christianity as a source of empowerment for LGBTQ people
- This is an ecumenical retreat. All denominations welcome.
What will i get?
- Tools to bring back home to energize and build your community
- An ability to talk fluently about what queerness is and how it relates to Christian faith
- An ability to talk fluently about Christianity as a force for positive change.
- Specific ways to bring queerness to bear on real world concerns that you are dealing with right now
Rev. Elizabeth Edman, author of Queer Virtue: What LGBTQ People Know About Life and Love and How It Can Revitalize Christianity
Dr. Michael Ferguson, a cognitive neuroscientist at Cornell University whose work includes groundbreaking investigations of religious experiences and human intelligence
Shelley Donaldson, MDiv, Retreats Director for Parity
Rev. Marian Edmonds-Allen, Executive Director of Parity.
Special Guests include:
Jonathan Benz, author of Live A Legacy: Spiritual Principles for Strategic Living, and The Recovery-Minded Church: Loving and Ministering to People with Addiction.
Sontaia Briggs, Founder of YoUniversity, an online ministry dedicated to uplifting/affirming the gifts of youth and young adults as well as providing in-person college access/success coaching and counseling.
Father Shannon T.L. Kearns, co-founder of Queer Theology and founder of the Uprising Theatre Company.
Elly Mendez Angulo, Project Coordinator of Encuentros de Gracia y Bienvenida, an initiative of the United Church of Christ's Justice and Witness Ministries Health and Wholeness Advocacy Office.